Ideal Partners is your partner for a clean, pest-free home.
After a long, harsh winter, spring comes as a welcome relief. Unfortunately, insects and other pests also become more active as the weather warms up. As you begin the annual chore of spring cleaning, Ideal Partners has some special steps you can take to keep these unwanted guests from entering your home.
Exterior Cleaning Tips from Ideal Partners
Effective pest control starts outside. The less hospitable your property is to pests, the less likely it is that you will have an infestation in your home. The following chores for the exterior of your property can help keep unwanted pests away.
- Keep wood and brush piles away from your home, and preferably, off your property altogether. These piles attract termites, beetles and other nasty critters.
- If you keep a supply of firewood, make sure it is stacked far away from your home’s foundation. Get rid of any fallen branches, weeds or dead plants while you’re at it. Pests are often drawn to this type of lawn clutter.
- Ideal Partners also suggests you eliminate standing water from your property. All pests gravitate toward water sources, and standing water tends to attract mosquitos – winged pests notorious for carrying dangerous diseases.
Indoor Cleaning Tips from Ideal Partners for a Pest-free Home
As any technician from Ideal Partners will tell you, kitchens and bathrooms are popular destinations for unwelcome guests. Here’s how to keep the pests out of your home.
- Do a deep cleaning of your kitchen, paying special attention to areas around appliances.
- Empty all cabinets, cupboards and drawers, wiping them down with a disinfecting agent or cleaner.
- Dispose of expired food items and any other trash that has accumulated.
- Inspect your bathrooms to make sure water isn’t pooling around your tub, toilet, or under the sink.
- Regularly wipe down all surfaces with a disinfectant, and occasionally pour bleach down the drains to further discourage pests.
Ideal Partners also suggests a meticulous cleaning of all closets. It’s easy to neglect these storage spaces, and unwanted junk can accumulate before you know it. Old boxes and bags can serve as hiding places for moths, spiders and other pests. Take time to clear everything from your closets, getting rid of whatever you don’t need. Dust the shelves and vacuum or sweep the floors before returning the remaining contents.
Basements, attics and garages can be safe havens for insects and rodents if not properly maintained. Ideal Partners recommends conducting a thorough cleaning of these areas, getting rid of junk you no longer want. Dusty cardboard boxes and clutter can attract ants, roaches and other bothersome vermin, so eliminating these potential pest habitats is incredibly important.
For us, the arrival of spring and summer means it’s time to enjoy the great outdoors. For insects and other pests, however, the warmer weather means it’s time to head inside. Keep these invaders out of your home by employing simple spring cleaning strategies from Ideal Partners.